The dedication and naming of the park at 18th St. and Calumet took place on Saturday and attracted a fairly large crowd. It was officiated by Native Americans, politicians, and members of local community groups.
A diverse group of participants
Leslie Recht, assistant to Second Ward Alderman Robert Fioretti moderated the event.The ceremony started with a blessing of the site by Roger Williams, Potawatami elder and tribal representative. A history of the site was given by Russell Lewis from the Chicago History Museum. A "presentation of city council resolution" was delivered by Alderman Fioretti, with William Tyre, executive director and curator of the Glessner House Museum standing by his side. Tina Feldstein, president of the Prairie District Neighborhood Alliance (PDNA) welcomed those in attendance. There was also a Park District dedication by Commissioner Scott Hanlon.
The event, which started at 10 a.m., ran about an hour. It included the participation of War of 1812 Reenactors, the Illinois National Guard, American Indian Center, Chicago, U.S. Daughters of the War of 1812, and the Chicago Park District among others.
After the ceremony, a new plaque commemorating the spot and the park was unveiled.