Sunday, February 21, 2010

Chicago Restaurant Week follow-up

The (prix) fixe is in
I took advantage of the prix fixe menu at Tavern at the Park, 130 E. Randolph St. on Friday evening. An old high school friend was in town for a convention and I thought it would be a great place to eat after taking in some of the sights including Millennium Park.

The prix fixe menu had four excellent entree choices: filet trio, roasted "brick" chicken, vegetable lasagna, and pan roasted red snapper. I opted for the roasted chicken, which was both plentiful (it seemed like half a chicken) and delicious. It was served over roasted potatoes. My friend and her husband had the filet trio and the red snapper respectively. They were very happy with their choices.

That's one spicy meatball!
Backing up just a bit, the choices for appetizer were grilled polenta and crispy meatballs. All of us chose the crispy meatballs, which were slightly crispy on the outside, but moist and tender on the inside. The appetizer included two medium-sized meatballs (one more and it could have been an entree) served with red and sweet peppers.

Sweet endings
For dessert our choices were chocolate creme brulee (the largest creme brulee I've ever seen, I might add) and profiteroles (cream puffs with gelato). I (and my friends husband) decided on the profiteroles and was glad I did; the cream puffs were light, not too heavy and the gelato made for the perfect topping. I had to take my friends word that the creme brulee was wonderful, and judging by the empty ramekin, it was.

A three-course meal for $32 per person at a restaurant like Tavern at the Park turned out to be the perfect meal for my out-of-town guests. I'd go there again in a heartbeat. If you're interested in checking out the prix fixe menu at Tavern at the Park, click here.

Let's hear from you
Did you take advantage of Chicago Restaurant Week? Where did you go? How was your experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...