Monday, January 25, 2016

2016 Already?

Jackie Walker
Guest post by Jackie Walker

Happy New Year! Yes, a little late, I know, but it is hard to believe that 2016 is already here. I hope you enjoyed a wonderful holiday season! We did and I want to share thoughts on one of my favorite gifts that I received from my children. It is a book called Worn Stories by Emily Spivack. I was captivated by the variety of memories that were attached to the items of clothing that each contributor relayed. Of course this appeals to me as I have dedicated my career and brand Closetology to the psychology of clothing. So in this “New Year” I want to share a story with you about an article of clothing that was so dear to my heart!

We lived in Philadelphia and my mother was working at the time. She worked every Saturday and that was the day my dad and I would take off and share a fun adventure. Being an only child and 9 years of age this was exciting.


This particular Saturday we shared lunch at a favorite restaurant and then went window
shopping. There we were standing in front of a very elegant children’s clothing store. In the window was the most beautiful coat I had ever seen. It was beige and a faux fur called Borgana. I pleaded with my dad to go in and just try it on. It was a challenge for the sales associate to remove it from the window and take it off the mannequin. I had it on and twirled in front of the mirror with a huge smile on my face. I pleaded and begged for my dad to purchase it for me. Dad asked the price and was told that it was $100.00!!!!! That was a fortune and at the time money was very tight and this was not possible. BUT......one look at my smile and constant pleading the coat went home with us.

“Hide the coat and don't tell your Mother,” he cautioned. I stayed in my room loving my new treasure when I heard the words from downstairs! “You what?” My mother then asked me to come down and show her the coat. She smiled and I knew that I could keep this beautiful piece.

The coat was full length and through the years I wore it that way....then as a three quarter length piece ....and then as a much shorter jacket.

Many, many years later it hung proudly in my mother's hall closet and she wore it to walk the dog on cold mornings. When I lost my Mom it still hung proudly as a memory.

When I close my eyes I can still see the lush beige softness with the blue and silver stripe lining and I smile!

Now it is your turn! I would love to feature your clothing memory in my monthly newsletter. Please Closetology! These will be special edition Newsletters in addition to my regular Tips and Trends! Excited to hear!
email me a picture of the item and your memory. I will include your name or not depending on your preference. For the first ten people that submit a memory to jax6014@aol.com I will send you a copy of my CD

Jackie

Jackie Walker is the author of the best-selling book I Don't Have a Thing to Wear: The Psychology of Your Closet. Visit Jackie’s Web site by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...