Winter awards will be given for consistent and thorough snow and ice management of the public right-of-way: including sidewalks, parking areas, ADA ramps, bike lanes, Divvy stations, etc.
|Recognize this spot? Not a likely Sidewalk Steward Award nominee!|
Awards for the rest of the year will be given for landscaping quality, litter and debris removal, public art, and supporting an active, walkable neighborhood.
How it works:
Nominate a South Loop Sidewalk Steward by sharing photos (or video) of laudable sidewalk upkeep via the GSLA Facebook page or on their Twitter feed, then send a quick e-mail to GSLA Board member Josh Ellis with some supporting information. Be sure to note the address, date, and business name (if applicable) of your nominee – anything to help build the case. Be sure to include your name as well.
Nominations for Winter 2013-2014 are due by April 1, 2014.
Nominations for Summer 2014 are due by October 1, 2014.
- A public online vote will be held and the results will be taken into account by the judging panel.
- That evidence, in addition to site visits and general knowledge, will be used by a panel of judges to determine winners in 3 categories –residential, commercial, and institutional (i.e. church, park, school, etc.). The judging panel will be announced soon.
- Winners will be announced at the May 17, 2014 GSLA Community Updates meeting and November 15, 2014 GSLA State of the South Loop meeting.
- Self-nominations will be accepted, but nominations of your neighbors and neighborhood businesses are encouraged.
- Use of environmentally sustainable practices is also encouraged – not too much salt, use native plants, water conservation, etc. Wonder what we call sustainable? We go by the Lawn to Lake standards, a program of the Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant. Want to know more about native plants? The City of Chicago has a list you can use.
- This is meant to reward GOOD behavior. We all know that some folks in the neighborhood do a pretty pitiful job of maintaining the public right-of-way. We get it. But we want to acknowledge and celebrate those that do things right.
Questions? Contact GSLA Board member Josh Ellis, firstname.lastname@example.org . Additionally, GSLA is actively seeking a sponsor for the South Loop Sidewalk Stewards – please contact GSLA Board member Josh Ellis if interested.